Top World News

'She's sending a message': Trump biographer says Melania dissed husband in letter to Putin

The First Lady offered a subtle dig at her husband in a letter she recently penned to the Russian president, according to one analyst. Michael Wolff, who has written four books about President Donald Trump, said on a recent episode of the podcast "Inside Trump's Head" that the letter Melania Trump wrote to Vladimir Putin contained a diss meant for President Trump. Wolff's comments came about a week after Trump and Putin met in Alaska to discuss a peace settlement for the war in Ukraine. "I think that this latest letter is a diss at Trump," Wolff said. "She's Eastern European, and obviously has long experience and feelings about Russia and Russians, and Putin. And, she probably sees her husband bowing down to Putin, and it rankles her." "I mean, it's like, you know, f--- him," Wolff continued. Ahead of the Trump-Putin summit, Melania penned a letter asking Putin to think of the children as he continues his war in Ukraine. "Every child shares the same quiet dreams in their heart, whether born randomly into a nation’s rustic countryside or a magnificent city-center," the letter reads in part. "They dream of love, possibility, and safety from danger."The seemingly innocuous letter became clearer during Trump's meeting with European leaders when he lamented that Melania loves their son Barron more than she loves Trump. "If I'm reading between the lines, I think it's she's sending a message," Wolff added. "I mean, it's always hard to tell. She always seems to be sending a message."Watch the entire episode below or by clicking here.

ArticleImg
JD Vance gets 'starring role' on Russian state-controlled media after gushing over Putin

Vice President JD Vance was featured prominently on the Russian state-controlled media Wednesday for his comments praising Russian President Vladimir Putin, comments that one critic argued he knew were false.“I have talked to (Putin) on the phone a number of times; you know, it’s interesting, he’s more soft-spoken than you would necessarily expect,” Vance told Fox News’ Laura Ingraham Wednesday evening.“You know, the American media has a particular image of him; he’s soft spoken, in a certain way. He’s very deliberate. He’s very careful, and I think fundamentally he is a person who looks out for the interests, as he sees it, of Russia.”Russia Today, an international news network funded and controlled by the Russian government, shared a clip of Vance’s interview on social media shortly following its airing, writing in a post on X how Vance described “the REAL Vladimir Putin.”Edith Olmsted, formerly of The Daily Beast and now a writer for The New Republic, however, cried foul on Vance’s characterization of Putin, writing Thursday that the vice president knew better.“Vice President JD Vance is so good at saying exactly what Moscow wants him to say that he’s earned a starring role in state propaganda,” Olmsted wrote in a piece published Thursday in The New Republic. “...Despite what Vance has claimed, Putin isn’t a gentle altruist – he’s a dictator who hopes to acquire Ukrainian territory by force – and Vance knows that.”Vance has largely mirrored his boss’ rhetoric on Putin, that being a frequent hesitancy to outright condemn the Russian president’s decision to invade Ukraine. Putin is set to meet with Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy soon in an effort to bring about an end to the war. This follows Trump’s meeting with Zelenskyy earlier this week, and his meeting with Putin last week in Alaska.Watch the video below or use this link.Vance: I have never actually met Putin. I have talked to him on the phone. More soft-spoken than you would necessarily expect. The American media has am image of him. Spot spoken. Very deliberate, very careful. I think fundamentally is he a person who looks out for the… pic.twitter.com/daLaEWLs3R— Acyn (@Acyn) August 20, 2025

'Resignations seem likely': Economist predicts investigation of Trump's $600 billion fail

President Donald Trump's administration has published the terms of the trade deal with the European Union, but some of the promises Trump claimed were coming didn't materialize after all, according to one economics expert.University of Michigan economics and public policy professor Justin Wolfers wrote on X that after perusing the deal, he discovered Trump's promise of $600 billion being sent to the U.S. from the E.U. isn't on the list. "The most important thing is what's not there. Trump had boasted, 'They gave me $600 billion, and that’s a gift.' But guess what? They didn't. He didn't get a penny," wrote Wolfers. "Bottom line: The final text of the EU-US trade deal delivers $5,000 less to the average American household than the handshake agreement Trump boasted of on August 5.""I expect there will be soul-searching, an investigation, and recriminations, as the White House explores how its negotiators fell $600 billion short of the deal the president thought he had struck. Resignations seem likely, and a re-think of the entire deal-making apparatus," Wolfers added. The deal mapped out on July 28 promised, "The EU will purchase $750 billion in U.S. energy and make new investments of $600 billion in the United States, all by 2028." It explained, "The EU will invest $600 billion in the United States over the course of President Trump’s term. This new investment is in addition to the over $100 billion EU companies already invest in the United States every year."It appeared again toward the end of the July 28 plan: "The deal bolsters America’s economy and manufacturing capabilities. The EU will purchase $750 billion in U.S. energy and make new investments of $600 billion in the United States, all by 2028."The Aug. 21 deal changes the language significantly, shifting from a commitment to phrases like "make new investments" and "invest," and now saying things like they're "expected to invest." "In this context, European companies are expected to invest an additional $600 billion across strategic sectors in the United States through 2028," the document says, removing the firm commitment. "This investment reflects the European Union’s strong commitment to the transatlantic partnership and its recognition of the United States as the most secure and innovative destination for foreign investment," the new deal says. The deal can be read here.

ArticleImg
'There is no chance of winning!' Trump makes grim declaration about Russia's Ukraine war

President Donald Trump fired off at former President Joe Biden Thursday for his handling of the Russo-Ukraine War, alleging that Biden “would not let Ukraine fight back, only defend,” despite history saying otherwise.“Crooked and grossly incompetent Joe Biden would not let Ukraine fight back, only defend,” Trump wrote in an online post on his social media platform Truth Social. “How did that work out? Regardless, this is a war that would have never happened if I were president — zero chance. Interesting times ahead!”Trump’s allegation, however, flies in the face of years’ worth of Biden’s policy on Ukraine. While the Biden administration was initially hesitant to send Ukraine offensive weapons, those hesitations were soon caved on as Biden walked back previous positions in sending the Eastern European nation increasingly-powerful weapons like tanks, F-16 fighter jets and long-range missiles.Biden’s willingness to provide Ukraine with offensive weapons was so pronounced that even some of Trump’s most loyal allies began to criticize the administration for its provocation, such as Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-AL).“If they don’t quit what they’re doing, they’re going to force us into a third world war,” Tuberville said back in 2023 to Alabama Daily News, speaking on Biden approving increasingly-powerful offensive weapons to be shipped to Ukraine.Nevertheless, Trump insisted that Biden had only permitted Ukraine to act defensively against Russia, and in an unclear comparison, likened the Biden policy on Ukraine to illegal immigration in the United States.“It is very hard, if not impossible, to win a war without attacking an invaders country,” Trump wrote. “It’s like a great team in sports that has a fantastic defense, but is not allowed to play offense. There is no chance of winning! It is like that with Ukraine and Russia.”

PlayStation admits Trump's tariffs will jack up prices: 'Challenging economic environment'

PlayStation admitted that the cost of its gaming machines is going up after President Donald Trump's tariffs. In a blog post on the company's website, PlayStation expressed regret that "we continue to navigate a challenging economic environment. As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price for PlayStation 5 consoles in the U.S. starting on August 21." The PlayStation 5 was released to the public in 2020, and the PlayStation 6 isn't slated for release until some time in 2027 or 2028. The gaming console is made largely in Japan and China, both of which have a tax on goods coming in from those countries. Trump issued a global tariff on all goods coming in from other countries that ranges anywhere from 15 to 25%. However, as the BBC reported, Trump has added a 15% tax on Japanese goods and 30% on Chinese goods. Trump has extended the deadline for deciding the final tariffs on China for another 90 days, CNBC explained. "If the deadline were not extended, then U.S. duties on China would have shot back up to where they stood in April, when the tariff war between the world’s largest trading nations was at its peak," CNBC said. "At that time, Trump had cranked up blanket tariffs on Chinese imports to 145%, and China had retaliated with 125% duties on U.S. goods."